There are plenty of famous quotes about tennis. Some are insightful, some are funny, and some are just plain odd. But they all have one thing in common: they show how much people love this sport. Here are some of our favorite tennis quotes!
Inspirational Tennis Quotes
There’s nothing quite like an inspirational tennis quote to get you in the mood to work hard and improve your game. Here are some of our favorites, from legendary players and coaches alike. Get inspired to reach your potential – and maybe even smash a few balls along the way!
- “You have to believe in yourself when no one else does.” – Serena Williams
- “I’ve always been aware that the image you patiently construct for an entire career can be ruined in a minute.” – Roger Federer
- “What makes something special is not just what you have to gain, but what you feel there is to lose.” – Andre Agassi
- “What is the single most important quality of a tennis champion? I would have to say desire, staying in there and winning matches when you are not playing that well.” – Novak Djokovic
- “Greatest thing in life: Winning a tennis match. Second greatest thing in life: Losing a tennis match.” – Jimmy Connors
- “Tennis belongs to the individualistic past – a hero, or at most a pair of friends or lovers, against the world. ” – Jacques Barzun
- “Losing is not my enemy, fear of losing is my enemy.” – Rafael Nadal
- “Success is a journey not a destination. The doing is usually more important than the outcome.” – Arthur Ashe
- “You have to find it. No one else can find it for you.” – Björn Borg
- “We have no differences because we have nothing in common.” – Guillermo Vilas
- “Trophies separate the winners from losers, and life is about winning and losing. Go into business and you see. You’re competing every day.” – Jim Courier
Funny Tennis Quotes
Tennis can be serious business, but that doesn’t mean you can’t laugh a little along the way. Here are some of our favorite funny tennis quotes. Some of them might make you chuckle – and some might even make you groan. Depending on your sense of humor!
- “An otherwise happily married couple may turn a mixed doubles game into a scene from Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf.” – Rod Laver
- “Tennis is a psychological sport, you have to keep a clear head. That is why I stopped playing.” – Boris Becker
- “Tennis is a perfect combination of violent action taking place in an atmosphere of total tranquility.” – Billie Jean King
- “There’s too much money and too many nice guys around.” John McEnroe
- “I got bad calls every match, and I never got an apology.” – Ivan Lendl
- “The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I’ll never be as good as a wall.” – Mitch Hedberg
Motivational Tennis Quotes
If you’re ever feeling stuck in a slump, these motivational tennis quotes will help. They’ll remind you why you play the game and push you to stay focused and reach your goals. So check them out – they might be just the mental pick-me-up that you need!
- “If you don’t practice you don’t deserve to win.” – Andre Agassi
- “Just go out there and do what you’ve got to do.” – Martina Navratilova
- “The difference of great players is at a certain point in a match they raise their level of play and maintain it. Lesser players play great for a set, but then less.” – Pete Sampras
- “Just go out there and do what you have to do”. – Martina Navratilova
- “My motto is: I’m alive, so that means I can do anything”. Venus Williams
- “I have always considered tennis as a combat in an arena between two gladiators who have their racquets and their courage as their weapons.” Yannick Noah
- “You can’t be considered a great player unless you win Wimbledon. That’s the way it is.” – Mats Wilander
Enjoy the game!
Tennis is a sport full of intensity and passion, but it doesn’t always have to be so serious. Lighten up your day with some of these memorable tennis quotes – they’re sure to keep your spirits up no matter what you’re playing! So don’t forget to give yourself a break every once in awhile and enjoy the game we all love. Just remember: no matter how hard you try, there’s always something new to learn and improve on!